If you’ve set out to start a skincare line, one of the most important aspects to consider is working with natural ingredients. But what do you do if you don’t have any money? There are ways to make your own skincare product without any financial investment.
In this article, I will give you six different methods that are simple and inexpensive and can help take your business from zero to success in no time! I’ve also included an overview on how the process could work if done correctly.
Over the past 2 years, I’ve had the privilege to work with several skincare lines and the one common denominator that I’ve noticed is that most (if not all) of them were started by someone with little to no funds. While they may have lacked monetary resources, each of these entrepreneurs possessed vision and willingness to sacrifice what was necessary in order to make their dreams a reality.
Many times during this process, such as sourcing ingredients or packaging it can seem like an uphill battle for those who do not have a large bank account to draw from. Yet it is possible to develop a successful skincare line without breaking the bank.
I’ve seen so many people who’ve put in a ton of work and time into perfecting their product or brand but then give up because they don’t have the financial capital to get started. Often times, it can be discouraging and frustrating because we as entrepreneurs want to be compensated for our hard work and sacrifices. However, this should not be our primary motivation. Our primary motivation should be the passion we have for what we do and how much we enjoy doing it!
When I first started my own skincare line, I was fresh out of college with minimal funding (non existent at that point). My business partner and I went through all of the processes described below in order to get our product off the ground. We had no money to do so, but after many months of hard work, we were able to make our dream come to life.
By applying these methods to our own line, we found out that even if you don’t have a lot of money, it is still possible to develop a successful skincare line!
If you’re stuck in the mindset that you need financial capital in order to market or sell your products then you are mistaken. It is possible to do so without any money.
I have created this article to help you out with the necessary steps to take for your line so that you can become successful in your endeavor. I will start by giving an overview of what it takes, followed by each step in detail.
If you are trying to start a skincare line, please note that the steps are not set in stone. They are guidelines that can be altered or adapted based on your specific needs. You need to decide where you want your company’s product(s) to end up and then work through these steps accordingly.
5 Steps to Start a Skincare line with no money
I’ve separated the process into 5 main steps. I will cover each of them in detail below
Step 1: Choosing a product to develop
Step 2: Sourcing your ingredients and packaging
Step 3: Creating a marketing plan
Step 4: Marketing your Product
Step 5: Closing the Sale
Steps to start a skincare line with little money
Step 1: Choosing a product to develop:
So how do you know what kind of product you should choose?
The easiest way is to identify your market. What gaps are there in the market that you can fill? Who are your customers? What kinds of things do they like and dislike about current products in the marketplace? What kinds of things do they need and want (beyond what’s already out there)? Think about how you can customize a product for each customer.
What do other people in your niche already have out there? Have they done something completely new or innovative or something that people will pay more attention to than other products on the market such as ultra-hydrating (for example)? Ask yourself if their products fill a need for consumers. If they do, then that is a good start for you.
It’s important to learn from the mistakes of others in your niche. Study what they are doing that is working and then apply it to your own brand. If someone else’s product is not working, then there is no need for you to replicate it. Do something completely different if necessary! Consider how you can innovate, especially in areas like luxury cosmetic packaging design. It’s not just about the product inside, but also how it’s presented to the customer. By creating unique and attractive packaging, you can set your brand apart and capture the attention of your target audience.
Once you have an idea of the type of skincare product you want to create, you can move on to sourcing your ingredients and packaging.
Step 2: Sourcing your ingredients and packaging:
When sourcing ingredients, try looking in local health food stores or ethnic markets in your area for items such as herbs, oils, etc. If you don’t find them there, try looking online or at your local farmer’s market. It is often much more inexpensive to buy in bulk.
Packaging can be very expensive if you are doing it professionally. However, there are many ways to get affordable packaging that works just as well if not better than having it done by the pros. Remember the packaging of your skincare product does not have to be elaborate to catch consumers attention, just different!
If you are unable to package your products yourself, there are many people who do so on Ebay or Etsy at a cheap rate. Simply search for “custom packaging”.
To help you get started with this step, I will give you some examples of my own personal brands. You can see that I have cleverly used packaging to highlight the uniqueness of my brand. It doesn’t have to be expensive to be effective.
Take a look at all the different bulk herbs and oils that are available online! They are much cheaper than buying a super expensive one from a cosmetic company! You can get custom bottles made online for a cheap price as well if you don’t have any bottle preference in mind.
BCBG Max Azria is a very famous fashion line that has inspired many makeup lines due to their high fashion looks and high end price tags. You can see that they have figured out how to incorporate packaging into their looks.
Here are some ideas if you are looking for custom packaging ideas:
Recycled glass jars: (You can find them on Etsy or Ebay) These jars make for great shampoo and conditioner bottles! You can also buy inserts with lids on them to put your product in.
BPA Free Plastic Bottles (Ebay): These are the same as the previous option except that these come in clear plastic bottles.
Semi-Transparent Plastic Bottles (Ebay): These plastic bottles are more expensive but they last longer than the other two types of plastic bottles mentioned above.
Plunger Bottles (Ebay): These are great for packing small amounts of products such as eye cream or shampoo. They can also be customized with your brand logo and other information.
The best thing about these bottles is that you can find them anywhere! They are often used for essential oils and other household products and they come in almost every color and size imaginable!
Step 3: Creating a marketing plan:
If you hate marketing, I’ve got some good news for you – it doesn’t have to be hard!
The main idea behind marketing is to let people know about your product, where they can buy it, and any specials that you may be having (if applicable). I know it sounds pretty basic but don’t underestimate the effectiveness of great skincare marketing strategies!
There are many ways in which you can market your business and yourself. Traditional methods include:
You can do this in various ways such as with flyers, newspapers, local media, and even personal follow up on your target audience. In addition to the traditional way of ad placement you can also get creative with product placement in stores or by personal demonstration at events. Think about ways that you can get more people to talk about you and your brand!
There are many different forms of social media from blogs to Facebook. They are all great ways to get your name out there. Try reaching out to bloggers in your niche and see if they would be interested in reviewing you products!
This last one is a broad way of getting your name out there. However, you will have to spend quite a bit of money for this method. It might be a good idea to try some of the other methods before deciding on this option.
Once you have your product completely packaged, chosen your niche, identified your target market, researched the best packaging for you, and created a marketing plan, you are now ready to market your products!
Step 4: Marketing Your Skincare Product!
This step is the fun and exciting part of creating your skincare business. Although it can be difficult and tedious at first (especially if you are one of those people who hates marketing), once you get into it and realize what is possible with a solid marketing plan it can become much easier.
I always recommend starting off with social media because it’s free and effective. If they like what they see there, then they might buy something from you as opposed to coming to your store.
If you have a great product and a great reputation with your target market, you might be able to get referrals from your current customers. Your goal is to always try and satisfy your customers at all times.
Social media is great for getting people talking about your brand! It doesn’t have to be anything fancy. You can post interesting videos or photos of yourself at events for example. Try using hashtags such as #organic_makeup, #herbal_makeup, etc. to help get people’s attention on the posts that you share. This will also help you find new potential customers.
This is a great way to send out information about your product. You can use a service such as Mailchimp to create a template for your emails and then copy and paste them in.
Another way to do this is to make a PDF that you can print off from your email account. Simply ask yourself why you need it and provide information that will convince people that they need it! Consider including sales or discount codes with each email so that people can save money by using them when they buy your products
Another way in which you can market is by the number of people who have bought from you in person or online, dollars spent, referrals, etc. If you are selling online there, are many things you can do to ensure that your products are listed on search engines.
If you are selling in person, make sure that your website address is visible to everyone so others can easily access it! Finding ways to get your name out there is key in getting sales!
Another great option for marketing is partnering with other businesses in the same niche. This will allow you to reach a larger audience and has the potential for driving more sales in both directions.
If you partner with businesses within the same niche, people will be more likely to buy your product when they need other items along with it! One thing I always recommend when marketing is making sure that everything looks professional and easy to read.
Make sure your store is easy to find with accurate phone numbers, hours of operation, and easy to navigate through.
Step 5: Closing the Sale:
This step is all about your customer service skills! The last thing that they want is to be on the phone with someone who is rude and unhelpful. More often than not, people will buy from a business that they like because of their service. That’s why it’s so important for you to make sure that you are polite and friendly during any conversations with them.
The first thing to remember when you are on the phone is to always be personable! People can hear that you are upset or annoyed because you don’t like your job and they may not buy something from you. Be excited and friendly and it will inspire others to do the same!
Typically, at this point in the process, people will call asking for your skincare product or service. This is where your marketing plan will come in handy. Make sure that if they need something specific that it is available otherwise, they might go somewhere else. It’s also important to make sure that if people ask for a certain price, you quote it as close as possible (especially if your prices fluctuate).
You should also be able to give them a discount code to use if they purchase from you in the future. It makes it easier for people to buy your skin care product from you and assists in keeping them as a customer! Trying your hand at social media marketing can also help because a lot of people will see your post and check out your products. This may lead them to contact you directly if they need more information about something.
Tips to succeed in Skincare business
We have talked about how to start a skincare line. Let’s quickly go through some helpful tips for success.
- The first step is to Register as a sole proprietorship or as a partnership, depending on the business type. You can register as a business with the commercial tax office (VAT office).
- When you start your Business, you must concentrate on building trust and credibility because after all, this is how you’ll be able to draw customers who will find your products and services valuable. So it’s important that you do something to differentiate your products and services from those of other firms in the market. And we must not forget that we live in highly competitive times, so we should take every possible measure to set ourselves apart from our competitors.
- The next step is to make sure your organization is set to work well. This means ensuring that your team consists of competent people who are good at what they do, and also that there’s harmony among the staff members. An example of this can be seen in clear job descriptions.
- There are several things you can do to market your business, including the use of the Internet, networking events and training events for existing staff, quality contacts with other firms in the same sector or related industries or sectors, publicity through an exhibition stand etc., etc..
- Getting clients is what matters, and to get them you must first learn to attract their attention. One of the ways to do this is by writing short, simple yet professional text on your website, on business cards and on some other relevant documents. Also using the services of specialized businesses for this kind of work will prove to be highly beneficial in the long run. Another way is advertising your business through print media with high-quality photographs that are professional in appearance, products that are good quality with competitive prices and the price list which consists of all important information about each product or service including its category, brand name, price, etc., etc..
- When it comes to delivering products and services, you should spare no effort in order to get it done well. Skincare products and services are something that brings new customers and additional revenue flows to your business.
- You can also get clients through word of mouth, by offering them some free samples or by providing them with competitive rates and excellent service.
- If you want to create a really good reputation for your business, make sure you communicate properly with all kinds of customers: the satisfied ones and the dissatisfied ones too. This can help you prevent problems and confusion and will help you stay in the good graces of the authorities.
- Remember that it’s vital to be able to analyze your business objectives and plan your strategy accordingly. If you want to be sure that your business is successful, then you must communicate effectively with all kinds of clients and communicate with them in a language they understand, so it’s best if you learn some basic interpersonal skills so that we can listen effectively to what our customers say and respond appropriately.
- A lot of folks begin a business because they want to make a lot of money, but if they have no idea of how to do it, the business will eventually fail. It’s wise to first determine what you plan on doing and how much time, money and energy is necessary to do that.
- A business plan is a document that helps you keep track of things that will be needed throughout the course of your endeavor. It should be written down carefully and it should include all the information you’ll need to start your company.
If you are ready to start your own skin care business, then you should do what you can to be the best! If you are good at any one of these tips, then that is something that can help you succeed. You should also remember that success doesn’t happen overnight.
It takes time, patience and hard work! Build a rapport with people and make them like your products and services because they will be your greatest customers! Make sure you build your business carefully. You don’t want to lose money on something that doesn’t do well. That is why it is important to market correctly. Write short descriptions on all of your marketing materials so people can understand what you are selling easily.